Work is continuing on the motorcycle design, in parallel with all the other projects I'm working on. The render above was done in Modo with lower render settings (hence, the noise and low resolution), but it was mainly to test how certain materials are currently fairing (that's not a typo, that's a pun) when the entire bike is together.
The headlight is due to be redesigned based on some new sketches I've worked out and many of the materials are work in progress, including the bodywork paint and the motor casings.
The primary purpose of this render was to see how well put together the bike was appearing now that the engine model is nearly finished.
I realized when I originally sketched the bodywork on paper that I would have to model a very detailed motor to put in the frame, because this design makes the motor very visible. Okay, maybe I didn't have to model a very detail motor for the design. Most designers that make a 3D model of their design will leave anything that's not integral to the design in a more rough state. This does a couple of things, number one is that it saves time, but number two, it also lets the observer know what to focus on.
But I have a hard time saying no to a unique modeling challenge, and an opportunity to learn even more about a new tool. The engine model was mostly done in Modo's Meshfusion. And honestly, I don't think I would've been able to create the motor as rapidly as I did without it. Sure, I could've used ZBrush's Live Booleans, but that tool is destructive, whereas Modo's Meshfusion retains every cut-away and additive shape as you continue working - so work can always be changed or undone.
The engine model with Meshfusion took maybe 12-14 hours. But trying to model this traditionally with the same quality level would've taken me significantly longer.
There's still more to come on this project, so stay tuned. And follow along with my progress via my instagram account, if you're interested: http://www.alexjamerson.com/instagram/